Top 10 Tuesday: Fairytale Retellings


weekly meme created by the Broke and the Bookish

This weeks Top 10 Tuesday on brokeandbookish.com is all about Fairytale Retellings. Either those that i have read or that i want to read or even including fairytales that should be retold or just overall fairytales that i love.

Okay disclamer here.

I grew up in a house where fairytale were read because my sister loved them. And my mom grew up with them to an extent. And she wanted to read to us and Fairytales are kind of a thing that you can't really get around when you want to read to your children, especially if you grow up in the country where Brother Grim's come from. Just saying.

BUT I was not one of those children that enjoyed those kind of stories.
Or in other words i hated fairytales as a child.
And by that i mean that i my mother gave up trying to read them to me after trying it once, after i asked all kinds of questions that apparently ruined the stories for my sister and started to read them to her while i was not in the room. Which was fine with me since that meant i didn't have to listen to them and trying to understand how people could be so stupid and illogical.

I still not a huge fan of the actual original fairytales from the brother Grim's and what not. Actually i only enjoy a handful of the stories from the original 1001 Nights stories.

Anyways...

What i am trying to say is that while i understand that people enjoy the original fairytales, i don't enjoy them and I actually prefer retellings. Maybe because in most cases the retelling are not as illogical? I honestly have no idea.

I just never actually understood who would ever keep the animals but sell the children or try to loose them in a forest.
Or why the heck the children that hear that they were going to be left behind by their parents in a forest take bread instead of stones or something that is not going to be eaten to find their way back.
Or who the heck gets the horrible idea to eat something that is literary the house exterior. I mean yuck right?
Or who would look at the poop of a donkey and find out that he is literary shitting gold.

For me the original fairytales where just very illogical and didn't make sense. I had no problems with the dark or murdering parts of the stories, but the actual rest of the stories, where everyone just accepted the stupidity of everyone else and nobody questioned what the heck everyone was thinking by dealing with he situations in the way they did and what the heck was supposed to be the lesson in those stupid stories when the entire "cast" of every story could use a nice shake to check if there was an actual and functional brain inside their hardly used heads.

Maybe i was just always an overthinker. Or i just prefer other types of stories. Or a combination of both.

Now that i rambled on and on about my hate for the original version of most fairytales, I should say that I did and do enjoy the Disney versions of most of those stories.
Not because they are happier. Or not as brutal -since i didn't have any problems with those parts- but actually because in most cases the stupid has been left out and i prefer that.


The first two are books that i have read and would recommend, mostly because of the really fantastic writing style of the two authors and if you have not yet read it, you should get on it because they are worth reading simply because of the completely fantastic writing!

And the last 8 are books that i plan to read.


Also just so you know, I have read more re-telling books from different fairytales. But to be honest most i did not enjoy and i prefer not to talk about books that i did not really love. And since this is my blog, i can pick and choose. And why not talk about the favorites and then about those that i can't wait to read?

So here you go.


Now on to the actual list:


1. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas





Yes, i know. This book has been talked to death and brought back to live again, simply because people can not stop talking about it. And i think that this is one that many people have that one on their list. Because... well this book was HYPED. And the capital letters are needed for that.

I read this and i did enjoy it. I loved the writing that Maas did, which honestly is the main reason that i gave it such a high rating.

Because while i appreciate the story and the try she did, overall the book itself is not that good.

I mean, the characters are mostly rather dull and the story itself is basically the Disney story in most cases with a few differences. But the two main characters are not worth the story, i loved two side characters and their snark and i really hope that in the next book those two will have a big role, because those made the book interesting, since neither the "Beauty" nor the "Beast" did that for this story. At least not to me.

If you have not yet read the book and expect a new version or a special story, or just a hugely different spin. Don't.
Maas more or less kept directly to the Disney script. She changed a few small moments, but really...

Don't expect a kick-ass Belle, because honestly that is not this book.

It is a slightly different spin on the story and i did enjoy the world and the idea behind the book.

This makes it sound as if i really did not enjoy this book. I did. It was good. But if it would not have been written in the fantastically way that Maas writes, this book might have gotten 3 stars from me. If at all.

But what i actually loved about this book was the writing style and way that even though for most of this book i wanted to shake it or put it down, i just couldn't because the writing just sucked me in so much that i was not able to put it down. So clearly, bonus points to Maas for a really fantastic way with her writing.



2. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson




I loved this book.

It is a retelling as part of the original Peter Pan and as far as i got it -since i neither saw the actual Disney version nor read the actual book (or if it even counts as a Fairytale?).

I mean this book includes Peter Pan and his crew, but it is an actual retelling of Tiger Lily's life with the Indians and it is told from Tinkerbell's view. Yeah. Does that not sound fantastic?

This is not a light hearted book. It involves heavy topics. And it includes a gay parental figure, it includes rape and something that i would call a forced marriage. Nothing is actually directly written about, but it is clearly pointed out. What i mean with that is, you as the reader knows that is happening, but it is not graphically described.

To me this book is just very real and fantastic and i have a whole review up, so please go here and check that out and read this book. Because it is fantastic, just don't expect the typical YA book and i wouldn't necessary give it to a sensitive younger reader, because this is not necessary that kind of book.

But it is fantastic!

And the writing! Loved it. Okay enough gushing. Next book!



3. A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston





This is a retelling of how the Arabian nights stories, or 1001 nights stories (who knows that those are called where you are?) came to be -not the actual stories! Or so i believe, but what the heck do i know? I have not yet read this! Ask me once i did! And i will get to it soon, because i do not have to wait for it to come out in October, because i have gotten an ARC through NetGalley. Yes thank you i do feel special because I really can not wait to get to this book and i will read it very soon and post a review sooner to the actual release date once i have read it. But i can really not wait.

I have to say that i also love the cover. It is beautiful. It is simple but lovely. I just... i love it.


4. The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine





This is going to be a retelling of Snow White, and it sounds fantastic. And i love the cover. And it will come out in February 2016, so it is going to be a while until it comes out.
But i have not yet found a retelling of that fairytale that i actually enjoyed, so i am looking forward to getting my hands on this and trying it out. And seeing if i love it. And if i do it is the first of a companion novel series that plays in adjoining kingdoms, so that sounds interesting as well.

And also... cover love right here. Just saying. Again. What? Who doesn't get drawn to a book by the cover first and then tires to figure out if it is worth reading for more then just the cover? I can't be the only one!


5. Beauty by Susan Wilson





This is actually an older book. And by older i do mean that because this has been published in 1996. So clearly not a new release. But i never heard anyone talk about this book. And i saw it a few years ago for the first time and since then it has been on my list. And clearly i have not yet read it.

This is another retelling of the Beauty and the Beast, but it seems to lack the typical magical aspects, meaning that the housekeepers are not enchanted but actual people and other aspects are just kept more according with the actual world instead of a fairytale setting. I think read that this "beast" has a rare genetic diseases which disfigured him. Which was the reason that i became interested in reading this book, because honestly i have not yet read any other retelling of a fairytale where an actual human problem is used instead of a magical problem. So i hope to find this book somewhere soon and read it.


6. Ash by Malinda Lo




This is a retelling of Cinderella or as i know this story "Aschenputtel".
This also has been out for a while, it was first published in 2009, so i should really just read it already. I mean after i get the book somewhere, because i don't own it. But i want to. I mean really, this story sounds fantastic. And i also kind of like the cover.
This is not the typical version where she falls in love with the king or prince or what ever -this was alway my least favorite story of them all so what do i know?- but she actually falls in love with the king's huntress. Yes, female. Thank you, this is a retelling that includes a lesbian love story. I am sold. Give it to me. Thanks.


7. Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blackly-Cartwright (i think)





I don't think i need to tell you what kind of retelling this one is. Because clearly the title says it all.

This has been published in 2011 and it sounds really interesting.

This has paranormal stuff, and werewolves, and monthly sacrifices. I don't know. I just really think that this might be a good one that i could enjoy. It is different and i do enjoy the different kind of books. So i will give this a try. Sometime in the future. hopefully.


8. Beastly by Alex Flinn





Yes, sorry. Another Beauty and Beast retelling. what can i say? I loved that library in the Disney retelling. That was just so wonderful that i want to see where the other retellings take it.

This story takes place in New York City. And i was sold. Who cares what else it is about? I want a basically modern version of the Beauty and Beast retelling.

And the cover is wonderful. So there you go. No more reasons needed.


9. Stitching Snow by RC Lewis





Another retelling of Snow White. What can i say, i try to find the one i really enjoy. I have said that already. But i can only repeat it because really that is the reason for most of those books on here. I want to find an actual book of a retelling that i LOVE. Especially for stories where i see the potential in the story but have not yet found a version of it that i enjoy. Snow white is one of those. I never really enjoyed where the story was taken in the retellings. But i want to find one.

This is a science fiction dystopian retelling. Honestly i just want to read that kind of story and see how that works.

And once again, wonderful cover so of course i am interested.



10. Never Never by Brianna Shrum





Is another retelling of Peter Pan. But once again not the typical version about Peter Pan, but this one is about Hook. can you say hell to the yes? Okay, then i will do it. HELL TO THE YES, give me that book.

It will come out in September of this year and i want my grabby hands all over it and see how Hook's story is told where Hook joins Peter Pan for holidays to Neverland, and while Hook enjoys it, he misses home. And so Hook decided to find a way home on his own, and he becomes the only one growing up in a world where children never grow up.

I don't know. As i said with Tiger Lily i never read or saw any actual version of Peter Pan. I mean i saw the Disney movie Hook. But i don't think that actually counts. No matter. This book sounds fantastic. And maybe someday i will also give the actual Peter pan book a try. Maybe after i read this and when i love it i want to see what the original story is all about. Who knows? For now i enjoy reading about the side characters of the Peter Pan and falling in love with them. So i hope this one doesn't disappoint.

And i just want to point out that this book has not drawn me in because of the cover. Honestly that is kind of ugly to me. But the title sounded interesting. So I wanted to see what it was all about, and then i read that it was a Hook version of Peter Pan and i wanted it.

What can i say? If it is not the cover it is the title. Or the first sentence of the summary of the book that hooks me. Pun intended, thank you.




I could go on. I won't because i completed the top 10 list. And i talked long enough.

Please let me know of any retelling books that you loved or want to read. Or you know just books that you want o share with me because... books.


Write more later...

Comments

  1. Good to read a different take on Court of Thorns and Roses. I see it hyped all over the place, but the last time I feel for the hype, I read Selection, and that was just... ugh, not good. So I am hesitant about the really popular ones nowadays. Thank you for your honest opinion :)

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand being hesitant about a hyped book. I have read quite a few that i really did not understand what the heck the hype was all about.
      And i understand what you are saying about the Selection, it was okay but not good or needed hype :)
      And i am all for sharing an honest opinion, that is after all why I have this blog :) I am happy that it is appreciated :)

      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

      Delete
  2. Great list! I really want to read A Thousand Nights and Tiger Lily. These books sound amazing! I have not read a lot of fairytale retellings and I need to make an effort to change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger Lily is fantastic, i can't say it often enough. And i am very excited to get started on a thousand nights, i really hope ti is as fantastic as i hope it is :)
      I haven't read a huge amount of fairytale retelling in english but i want to work on that. And at the moment that seems to be one of those themes that almost every other book is one, so it is easy to try a few out and maybe get lucky, as i was with Tiger Lily :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  3. I cannot say I am a huge fan of the original fairytales either--and probably know less about them than I do many of the "Disney-fied" versions out there. That's sad probably, but true. Tiger Lily is getting a lot of love. I really should check that one out. Of those you list that you want to read, I have only read Ash--and I liked it quite a bit. I hear the sequel is even better. I haven't heard of Never Never, but your description of it caught my attention. A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston also sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger Lily really does deserve any love it is given, it is that good. It is just a very realistic story and it surprised me how honest and non-fairytale the story is. You really should check it out if it sounds interesting to you :)
      I didn't even know that Ash was part of a series or had a sexual. But i will look into that, very soon :)
      I am happy to have pointed you towards a new book.
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  4. I've only read ACOTAR on your list, but you've got several others that look so good! Great picks!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am always happy to here that others enjoy the books i talk about :)
      Also thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  5. That Shadow Queen cover, oh my god ! I'm still hesitating about Never Never, but I think any book where Peter Pan is an asshole is a must-read haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a thing of beauty right?
      And i am so happy to hear that others enjoy a bad Peter Pan as well, because as far as i know in the original story Peter pan was an actual bad person, killing the children i think which is why they never came back. So i really do enjoy stories where that part is kept very true. :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  6. I've been thinking about reading Tiger Lily for awhile so seeing your thoughts made me want to read it even more! I'm also excited to read A Thousand Nights. I love your list! Thanks for checking out mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should give it a try. :)
      And thank you for coming here and commenting :)

      Delete
  7. Great list! The only one I've never heard of is Beauty by Susan Wilson so I might have to see if I can track down a copy. Really looking forward to Never Never as I don't think I've read many Peter Pan retellings and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't that many Peter Pan retellings that are not actually about Peter, or am i just not finding them? But i am happy that they are starting to come out with them. And i am very excited for Never Never, i just hope that it is good as i hope it is :)
      I hope you find a copy of Beauty :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: 2016 Reading Goals

Books by or about inspiriting Real Women

Top 10 Tuesday: Books i HAVE to read in Spring