Top 10 Tuesday: 10 Characters you just didn't click with

I am really excited to write this weeks meme from brokeandbookish.com




I have lots of books that i liked well enough but did not click with the characters.
I also have lots of books that other people loved the characters and i really did not like.

I actually do have two or three main reasons why i do not like or am not able to click with characters. Most of those characters that i list here have at least one of those reasons going for them. So you will find a bit of repetitiveness on here, simply because i really don't like specific characteristics. Just as a little disclaimer. 

Lets get started.


1. Karou from Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor



I know how many people love her, or this trilogy overall, but i honestly did not click with her at all.

I found her extremely selfish, doing extremely what she is not supposed to be doing. Not really caring what those wishes might do to there people or that she shouldn't use them for useless reasons as she has been told . Especially after knowing that wishes don't come for free and that every wish is costing someone something. And then use wishes to color her hair blue? Or prank people? I am sorry. That is not only selfish, it is extremely childish and stupid. 

I have no idea how to explain it better, so i am not going to try and babble on for longer then necessary. I can just say that i did not like most of the characters from this series. I also thought that Taylor should have done more into details with the resurrection stuff. And why specific things are needed or how they need to be put together to make a specific creature and all that stuff.

Maybe that is one of the reasons that i did not like Karou as much, because she constantly did things that i did not really understand because Taylor did not explain how things could actually happen that way.



2. Ron Weasley from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling



I know! I know! 

Okay, don't start with me on him! 

I know people love him. 

I just find him extremely self-centered. I always thought that he was just hanging on to Harry because he hoped that some of the fame would stick to him and he would suddenly be noticed.
I also know that it is a pretty good writing by Rowling since Ron is the youngest from a huge family. And sometimes those children really do act in the way that Ron did. But honestly in almost all situations he really got on my nerves and i always thought that if Rowling would have just killed him, everything would have been so much easier!

I could go on and on about why i did not like Ron and why i thin that we did not click while i read the books, but overall i did not like his constant leaving and coming back and i also hated how easily Harry accepted him back. I just always preferred almost all the other Weasley's over Ron, especially Fred and George and always thought that Rowling would have wrote such a fantastic book if she would have included the twins in a bigger way instead of Ron. Just saying.


3. Feyre from A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas




I gave this book 5 stars. But i did not click with either of the two main characters - Feyre and Tamlin. The both were just not what i expected from the main characters.

Especially Feyre was not what i wanted or expected. I heard that she was this kick-ass huntress.

Yeah well, no that did not happen. She had more luck then skill and she did manage to think a little bit logically form time to time, but most of the time she was just very jumpy and stupid in my eyes.

I just did not like her.

Still I will continue with the series and i did enjoy the book. So there is that.


4. America from The Selection by Kiera Cass


And not because of the reasons that most people didn't like her. But because she got on my nerves with her indecisivness.

She likes the prince? Well go the heck ahead then and marry the guy!
If not, why not leave the place?

I also thought that sometimes she was a bit overdone with how she handled situations. I don't know.

We just did not click. She was just too dramatic for me i think.



5. Isla from Isla and the Happily ever after by Stephanie Perkins




Or really any of the main characters from her companion series -Anna and Lola.

Isla was to little girlish for me. Which is a bit harsh in a way because i personally do like pleasing people just as much as Isla does. I also enjoy doing exactly what i am told and should be doing, and all that stuff.

Normally characters that are like that, i click instantly -Hermione for example! I read that she read all the textbooks and just hoped it was enough, i could understand that! i could relate to that, i clicked with her- not Isla. She was just to childish for me in many situations.

She just wasn't a good main character for me. I did like her well enough in her very short part in Anna, as the nice quiet student in the background. But to me she just wasn't a good or strong enough character to hold an entire book.

To that came that the entire love story from that book especially was just a  bit to much for me, with the constant back and forth and the more or less instant love.



6. Clary from City of Bones (or Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare




Good god that girl gone on my nerves!

Mother disappears and nobody knows if she is dead or alive? Who cares, there is this cute guy i follow instead!

Monsters are real and i have no idea how i fit into all that or what the heck is happening? Who cares, i will follow the cute guy anywhere i want to!

Someone else is looking at the guy i just meet three seconds ago? How dare that bitch!

I think you all get what i am trying to say. 

But Clary was not the only one from this book i had problems with, just the character i had the biggest issues with. I did not click with any of the characters from that book. At all. And i can not really understand why people love this series so much. 



7. Teresa from The Maze Runner series by James Dashner




This girl... if i ever wished for a book character to die, Teresa (not Tess i originally wrote, how ever i made Teresa into Tess? Who knows?) would be it. 

She is extremely annoying to me, and i don't understand why she keeps coming back. Or why the boys keep looking for her. 

I don't know. Something about her just bugs me to no end, from the first moment she appears in Maze Runner to the last stupid sentence she was mentioned in in the Scorch Trails, since i did not get myself to read on after that horrible, horrible second book. 

I really liked Thomas, i really enjoyed most of the other boys and the story itself from the Maze Runner. I hated Teresa. We did not click. 

Interestingly enough she is one of the very few girls from a book series that has mostly boys in them, that i really did not care for. Most of the time i click with the girls and either like all the boys or can't stand one of them for what ever reason. Still the girl... it is something new. 


8. Bianca from the DUFF by Kody Keplinger




I think this main character was why i did not enjoy the book as much as other people did. 

For me she was kind of... over extremely mean. And for no real reason. She was also rather self-centered, leaving her friends behind in favor for having sex with a person that she can't even openly be nice to. 

I don't know something about the way she treated people just did not sit very well with me and so we did not click. I don't like people that use others in some self-serving way on purpose. Maybe that is why. 


9. Melanie from the Host by Stephenie Meyers



First of all the entire book surprised me and i liked it more then i would have thought, since i was completely unsure about the Alien stuff and possessing a body and all that. 

But i enjoyed those aspects. I really liked Wanderer or Wanda. 

I did not like Melanie. I understand some of the reasonings behind of she behaved. And at the beginning that was fine. 

But after a while her very hostile and overly extreme hatred towards Wanda was just off-putting for me. I did not understand why she did not try to make some kind of deal with Wanda instead of constantly trying to be mean or unhelpful. 

Or how jealous Melanie was when Wanda got kissed. Melanie still was there, she was part of that too, so why be jealous? I did not understand that girl. At all. And so clearly, no clicking between us. 


10. Claire from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon




I have not yet finished this book. 
But i am over 200 pages into it and so i think i can relatively surely say that i did not click with this woman. 

Interstingly enough not for the typical reasons -that i already listed for other characters so i won't repeat them. I actually can't really explain why i did not click with her. 

Maybe it was because she seems rather... jumpy to me as a character. As i said, i can't really explain it. 

As of this moment and how far i gotten in the book she did not necessary handle herself badly. In most cases i actually approved of how she treated the situations she was in. 

I also like that she is mostly not the jealous type. Or trying to impress a guy in some way or form. She is actually mostly rather easy going. 

But still, i did not click with her at all. I do not care what happens to her. Which is a bit of an interesting dilemma. Because as far was i know this entire series is build around her. And i really could careless if she got shot by "the English" in the next sentence or not. 

Still the overall story is interesting enough. And i like the writing. So i will continue. Maybe she grows on me and we click later on. Or maybe i will read an entire series even though i did not click with the main character. Wouldn't be the first time. 



What about you guys?
What characters did you not click with or couldn't stand?
Any similar form my list or do you have completely different options?
Did you love some of the characters i listed?

Let me know, i want to hear what you guys think. 


Write more later.... 



Disclaimer: This post has affiliation links. 



Comments

  1. Interesting list! I've only read the Harry Potter series from the books on your list. I do like Ron, but I can understand where you're coming from; there were moments when I just wanted to give him a little shake. Having said that I did love the way J.K. Rowling wrote that, because he felt more like a real person than just the main character's best friend. If your best friend is the chosen one I can imagine you would get jealous from time to time, so I always appreciated that Rowling included that aspect to their friendship. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely with you on understanding and liking that Rowling wrote Ron the way she did. It was good to add a character that is jealous of the fame. And as i said in the post, i understand where she is coming from and that it is very realistic. Still i did not like him :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh America. The entire book I was like MAKE UP YOUR MIND WOMAN! I wish that Clary would have shown some character development instead of following Jace around constantly.
    I haven't read the host in FOREVER but I remember really not liking Melanie.
    Great list!

    My TTT: http://faithsbookspiration.blogspot.com/2015/09/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that i was not the only one thinking that Clary should have done some of her own thinking ;)
      And that i am not alone in not liking Melanie. :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  3. Feyre made my list too and I am bracing myself for the hate. I actually rated the book 4 stars, so there was enough about the book I liked, and I too will continue the series, I just didn't care for her all that much. I like Ron but understand where you are coming from. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wasn't worried about Feyre, but more about Ron!
      But i am happy to hear that someone else was not huge fan of her as well, since most people seem to just love her. I loved the main characters in that book so i enjoyed it enough. And i really loved the writing. So it was a good book overall, but Feyre just didn't do it for me. So glad that i am not the only one :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  4. Ohmygoodness - ME TOO with Clare from Outlander! I completely forgot about her for today's theme. And I completely agree about Ron Weasley, though I'd never really thought about it until you mentioned it. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so unbelievable happy to hear about that you didn't care to much about Clair and Ron as well. I really thought i was the only on with those two!
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  5. America was soooo difficult to click with! She was constantly indecisive, I just wanted to slap her and yell "GET ON WITH IT, WOMAN!" I think you meant Teresa from The Maze Runner, because if so, I had her on my list too! I don't remember there being a Tess in the book ... but maybe my memory is just lacking. Great post!

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. I completely not noticed that i wrote Tess and not Teresa! Thank you! Yes, i did mean her. How did i get those two names mixed up?
      But i am happy to hear that i was not the only one that found her annoying!
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  6. I have seen Isla on a couple of lists today. Totally didn't realize she was one of those characters - she was my favorite from that series!! I have a bunch of the others you listed on my TBR so I will have to see how I feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, i just slightly disliked her more then Anna and Lola. There is just something about the girls and how Perkins write them that i don't necessary like or just doesn't click with me. Oh well.. not every character will be loved by all :)
      I hope you will enjoy the books that you have on your TBR pile :)
      Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  7. I really want to read The Maze Runner! Clary has been on many lists.
    Here’s mine http://wonderstruck-kcks.blogspot.com/2015/09/characters-i-just-didnt-click-with.html
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a try :) The first one is really good :)
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  8. I had Feyre on my list this week too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/top-ten-tuesday-20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear another person not really enjoying Feyre :)
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading Quest - Readthon TBR

Review: 2016 Reading Goals

Top 10 Tuesday: Books i HAVE to read in Spring