Book Review: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

This was the first book I read during the Dewey's 24 Hour readathon.


I mostly put this book on my TBR for that readathon because i knew that i was going to get that book read without problems in one sitting if i wanted to do that. Simply because i enjoy it so much. And i get sucked into the story and just... you know be able to read this thing from start to finish and love it and be motivated to read more after finishing this. 

And while i never done a 24 hour readathon, i did do one readathon before and noticed how important it is to actually start with a book that makes you want to read and read and... you guys get my drift. So that is what i did. And since i never wrote a Harry Potter book reviews, and i am starting my how-ever-many re-read of this series now i thought i do that now. 

And review every book after reading it. Or a few weeks after re-reading it. You know, what ever... I am writing a review at some point for those books so that i finally have an actual real review for them!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone




Author: J. K. Rowling
Language: English
Type of book: Paperback 
Pages:  332
Overall rating: 5 out of 5
Book series: Yes, clearly, the Harry Potter series! Duh! #1
Book received through: bought it myself, well not the copy that i show in the picture here, but since i am really fighting with myself to not buy this version of the book i thought i at least share it with you all here. Has nothing to do with this specific section of the review, but oh well...  
Summary on the book:
"When a letter arrives for unhappy but ordinary Harry Potter, a decade-old secret is revealed to him. His parents were wizards, killed by a Dark Lord's curse when Harry was just a baby, and which he somehow survived. Escaping from his unbearable Muggle guardians to Hogwarts, a wizarding school brimming with ghosts and enchantments, Harry stumbles into a sinister adventure when he finds a three-headed dog guarding a room on the third floor. Then he hears of a missing stone with astonishing powers which could be valuable, dangerous, or both. "

Favorite thing/moment in the book:  That is just a completely unfair question and i will just say, that this book is completely a favorite book of mine and all the moments -even those that i do not love- ar my favorite! I just love this book! It is my child hood! I can't say it more specific then that!

Worth reading? 
Yes! Dear God! This is Harry Potter we are talking about! No matter what age you are, if you have not yet read Harry Potter, what are you doing with your life? Give at least this book a shot and see if you love the writing, even if you don't love the story itself, the writing is worth the read! What are you sitting there reading this? Get yourself a Harry Potter book and read it! Right now!


Get the book here: Book Depository 

Add to Goodreads 


Full review: 



First thought after finishing the book: Just as fantastic as always! I really should do a Harry Potter marathon!

This series... 

I just love it. 

The writing is fantastic. And actually that is really why i love this series. 
I know many people say that they love the writing when they don't know what else to say but i actually mean it. 




When i was 10 and sick my mom got me the audio book for this book. I just... i listen to this book and loved how descriptive the writing was. I just could picture everything. 

And that does not change no matter how often i read this book. 


I just love that Rowling actually managed to make you see what everything you read. I can picture the pig like look of Dudley. I can see the horse like face of Petunia. I can see the knobby little Harry with the broken glasses. I could just see it, you know?

Rowling's writing is that fantastic!


And i also love that i read this book at least 14 times now and every time - EVERY TIME- i find something new that i have not noticed before when i read this. 

I also enjoy how Potter is pictured in this book. 

How he is not this confident child going to Hogwarts. He didn't know he could do magic, so it is so natural that he is nervous that this entire thing was a mistake and he will be told any second that he has to leave because he was not actually meant when Hagrid came to tell him about magic. 

It is so realistic and honest and just... real. 

And really that is what i love about this book is the realness of the characters. No matter which character it is, they are just... you can see those characters existing in the real world. 

If it is the very mean Potion master, or the overly grandfatherly headmaster. Or the strict deputy-headmaster. 
Or the unsure girl that masks her insecurity behind book knowledge and really doesn't want anything but friends, people that she can relate to.  

I just love the characters even if i hate them -as in Snapes case. 



What i do have to say about this book that even though i do love this book there are things that are not perfect. 

This book is not perfect. 

There are moments that make no sense. There are situations that are either overdone or just questionable. And i see those moments! So its not as if i don't see them, simply because i love this book. 

SPOILERS AHEAD - IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK SKIP UNTIL THE NEXT BIG LETTERED PORTION

I see the mistreated Harry as an 11 year old boy that his aunt and uncle completely mistreat him and nobody steps in. He never wears clothes that fit? His glasses are broken? His own cousin beats him up? And nobody sees it happening and maybe questions what is happen?

The horrible, truly horrible teacher at Hogwarts that completely abuses his powers as a teacher? Nobody does anything against it? The headmaster just lets it happen?

And while we are talking about Dumbledore, he preps Potter to take on Voldemort throughout this entire book? Really? He lets a 11 year old fight against a very bad guy? Knowingly? Instead of just moving that stupid stone again to a place that might not be as clearly obvious as Hogwarts. 

SPOILERS OVER!


I am just saying that i see it. 
But honestly i can overlook those moments, simply because it is a fantasy world. And i can just say that all those aspects don't really happen in our real world, because of the magical aspects. 

And honestly the writing kind of makes up for it for me. And no book is perfect. That just doesn't happen. It just doesn't. 

But this book is as close to perfection as it gets to me. And it is the start of my reading passion. I read before starting this book series, but i never loved books before this one. 

I just... this book made me fall in love with books. 

And that is something that makes this book series always be special for me. 

So clearly: 

Overall?



This book is fantastic to me and for me. And i can't wait to read the entire series. And then start all over again. Because i am that kind of reader. 






I do have to say that i kind of hate that every year there is a new beautiful version of those books coming out. 
And they cost a small fortune. Or a real one to be honest. Because who has at least 60 Euros over each year to spend on paperbacks that they already own a version of? Or the double amount of that -at least- for the Hardbacks. 
Lets just not talk about the space necessary for all those copies of the same books. 

But I just... they are all so beautiful! I want them all!

Just saying, please let me know that this is not just a problem i am having, but that other people that love this series have similar problems with wanting to keep buying the newest versions of this book. Or just let me know that i am crazy. That is fine too. ;)

Let me know what you think. 



Write more later... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: 2016 Reading Goals

Books by or about inspiriting Real Women

Top 10 Tuesday: Books i HAVE to read in Spring