October 2015 - Book Wrap up

This month i was pretty on top of my reviews, so this is basically a link party to all the reviews i wrote throughout the month, because i actually reviewed all the books i wanted to write a full review for. 
Or in other words, those few books that do not have a full review linked, they will be kept to those short reviews on here or those i posted on Goodreads. Either because I honestly don't feel like talking anymore about those books, or because i said everything i have to say about those book here and there is no need for a completely different post to say the exact same thing. 


But mostly it is a link up to the actual reviews other then for a handful of books that i did not review for reasons listed here.


Here we go, in a rather big wrap up for October:

Lets start with the facts: 

I read a total of 20 books this month. Which i personal find pretty good, because i wanted to read 24. I mean, 4 short of the goal? Pretty good. And i did start 2 other books that I have not yet finished. But still 20 books. I am happy. 


So i read: 
15 physical books - 9 that i own, 6 library books
4 NetGalley copies
and 1 e-book. 

This month i actually really had the entire spectrum of ratings, going from 1 to 5 stars. 

I rated one book 1 star, three books 2 stars, seven books 3 stars, five books 4 stars and the remaining four books 5 stars. 


Stitching Snow by R. C. Lewis - 5 stars

I wrote a full review here, but lets just say that i really enjoyed this and can only recommend it to anyone that wants a really nice retelling of Snow White!


Satin Island by Tom McCarthy - 3 stars

I also wrote a complete review for this one, so go here and read it. Overall this book was okay, i would have enjoyed it more if it was shorter, but it was an interested read and i did enjoy some parts very much of this and if you are someone that enjoys reading philosophy books without a real plot other then just sharing thoughts of the world, read this!


To all the boys I've loved before by Jenny Han - 3 stars

Full review here, but in short: Cute contemporary story that is written in a very easy writing style and a good one for everyone that loves romance contemporary and doesn't mind a bit of a younger YA reading experience.


Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton - 1 star (if that)

This book. Dear God this book. This is the first book in years that i have read and just did not understand how it was published. And the first book in a series that i will hopefully not force myself into continuing on, because... just horrible to me. The entire story did not make any sense at to me. It was just... horrible to me. And i am so sorry to say that, and i do hope that other people enjoy this book, but I actually hated this book. So enough talk about this, and lets just move on!


All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr - 4 stars

This was my Buddy read for October and i did really enjoy this book for the most parts, but you can read my full review here and see exactly what i thought about it! I can say that if you love lyrical, poetic writing you will most likely really enjoy this book, simply because of the very beautiful writing style.


Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - 5 stars

This first book in the Grisha Trilogy was really great! I loved how Bardugo wrote the characters in this book and while it was not perfect, i still had a fantastic time reading this and just enjoyed it greatly! If you want a great fantasy book, pick this one up. Preferably after reading my full review, which you can find here.


Legend by Marie Lu - 4 stars

My full review can be found here, but i really enjoyed this book, i read it in one sitting and can't wait to continue on with this series in the coming month!


Did you ever have a family by Bill Clegg - 4 stars

This was a good book about showcasing how different families and their stories connect to each other  by one event. And how different people deal with a horrible event in their life. It is a good read, and if you want to read my full thoughts on this book, yet again, here is the link to the review i wrote.


Nirvana by J. R. Stewart - 3 stars

This is a Science-Fiction book that was a bit too sciencifctiny for me in this version of the book. I am still new to that genre and most of this book was just to... out there for me to really understand. But if you love Science-fiction and a future with virtual realities and have no problems with following storylines where the real world and the virtual one are mixed up, give this a read and see if you like it!
But Since i read this and wrote my NetGalley review, the publishers contacted me and asked if i would be interested to reading a revised version. And i am, so if that version is more for me, i will definitely write a complete review and you can read all about it there!


A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnston - 3 stars

This book was hugely different to what i expected, but still good. It was much more magically and fantasy then i expected and less of an actual 1001 Nights retelling of any kind. overall this book was pretty good and you can read a full review here.


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling - 5 stars
This is a re-read for me that i read at least 14 time before. And i still loved it. It was fantastic. Of course this book is not perfect, but still i really love it. The writing is fantastic. The characters are wonderful. I just love this book. It is wonderful.
Full review here


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - 3 stars

This book was slightly better then the first one, but still did not love this book. But it was okay and i do want to see where this series is going. Yet again, full review here.


Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - 3 stars 

This book as bit... huh for me. It was okay but nothing special and i don't really understand why those kinds of books win prizes if i am honest, because i just... if i expect a book to win a price i kind of want that book to be special. But this was okay. It was a nice family story. A bit more religious then i expected it to be. But still it was a nice family story and relatable in the fact that i think everyone can relate to the fact that you want to share something meaningful of yourself with the next generation. And the idea of writing letters or just writing things down for the next generation to read is nothing new, but it was interesting. If you want a typical everyday view into the live of three different generations of men, this book might be better for you then it was for me.


Snow like Ashes by Sara Raasch - 4 stars

This was fantastic! It was a really fantastic fantasy book that i enjoyed thoroughly. It was just great. And a full review is up so go there and check out my full thoughts!


11/22/63 by Stephen King - 5 stars

This was also fantastic and is also reviewed, so here is the link and go there to read exactly what i thought about this book.


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - 4 stars

This was nice. It was cute. It reminded me extremely about the typical contemporary romance books that are so popular. And the writing was supriningly easy to get through. it was just a nice story about a girl, growing up and falling in love and losing that love and in the end, ending up with that guy anyways. It was nice. It was cute. It was interesting because of the historical aspects as well as the overall story. The writing was -as said before- nice as well and not at all the typical classical writing that is mostly rather hard for me to read and understand.


Eragon by Christopher Paolini - 2 stars

This was a complete disappointment to/for me. A rather poor attempt in trying to write a fantasy book out of a combination of well known and loved fantasy books together. And this just did not work. At all. I liked the idea, but the writing and the plot just... it just didn't work for me. At all. Sadly. Still since i am me, i will try the next book in this series and hope that it gets better.


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - 2 stars

This book... dear god it was horrible and i am so happy that i am finally done with this. I mean it was not "seeker-bad" which is a thing now for me to say. But it still was not a book where i understand why so many people love it. What is the appeal? The horrible writing? The truly psychotic characters? A book where not even one normal character exist in the world? A completely see-through plot? I have no idea. I didn't see it. For me it was just boring, with horrible characters that i could just not get on with. Nothing on this book was good to me.
And if you want to hear further ramblings here is the link to the full review.


This is where i leave you by Jonathan Tropper - 3 stars

I wanted something fun and easy and just... fun.
This book sadly was not the comically fun, belly laughter book that i wanted it to be. But it was still a good family book that showcased how the different people experience the lose of a loved one. It was a good book, the writing was okay, the comical aspect did not hit my personal funny-bone. But i can see how many other people will love this book.


Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - 2 stars

This was me giving this author another try.
And hitting and completely missing for me. This was once again a horrible book for me. The writing was mediocre to bad, the characters where horrible. And not in the good way that some psychological thriller have, because all the characters are so horrible that you kind of like the horrible. You know what i mean!
I don't know what it is with Flynn's writing, but it just completely see-through and the big reveal or surprise or just the mystical aspect of the book is not at all surprising for me!
The positive in this book was that it was not as big as Gone Girl, so it was over faster.
Also can I just say that i do not like that Flynn constantly lets her characters binge drink and then drive. What is that? Is that something americans do? Drink at least 3 vodkas and then drive as it if it was nothing? Because if that is America? No thank you!




So those where all the books i finished in October. 

I would love to know what books you read in October, or if you read a favorite book that you want to recommend to me. 

I would definitely recommend 11/22/63, Snow like Ashes and Shadow and Bones and of course! Harry Potter!

Let me know :)


Write more later.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: 2016 Reading Goals

Books by or about inspiriting Real Women

Top 10 Tuesday: Books i HAVE to read in Spring