Top 10 Tuesday: Beach/Summer Reads TBR

 Its Tuesday! I am late with this post, because i actually really did not notice that it was already Tuesday again. What can you do?


 
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at Brokeandbookish.com, so clearly not my idea!


This weeks topic is: "
Beach Reads Week -- top ten great beach reads, ten books I plan to read on the beach, ten beach reads for those who don't like typical ~beach reads~, ten authors who are my go-to for beach reads, etc." 

Since this is a lot of topics to choose from and i decided i would share my TBR with you, so a few of the books i plan to read -even if i am sadly not anywhere near a beach! which also fit into the topic option of "beach reads that are not typical" because i am not a typical "summer/beach book" reader. 


Lets get started and you see what i mean!


1. Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

I have started this book and got maybe 100 pages into it last year in November or December. And since then? Not picked it up once. And not because i didn't love it i actually found it pretty good. 
But i just can't get into big Fantasy series in Winter and/or Spring apparently. So i really hope that i finally get this book read as well as at least the second one (A Clash of Kings) but hopefully get at least four of those book read throughout the entire summer. 
NO idea if that is actually possible, but setting goals here people!


2. The Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb

I am currently reading "Assassins Apprentice" which i actually wanted to have read in January, but you know i just said that I am apparently not good with Fantasy series in Winter/Spring, so that worked perfectly since i just started this book now. 

BUT the "Hobb-a-long-read-a-thon" (Goodreads-Group) that Sam from Sam's Nonsense (Youtube) started was perfect for me to finally read that series!

I am already behind on the Read-a-long schedule, BUT i am trying to caught up. 

Anyways... i really hope to read at least all three of those books - Assassins Apprentice, Royal Assassin and Assassin's Quest - during this Summer. 


3. A Little Life - Hanya Yanaghara

I wanted to have read this already as well. You see a trend here? The Summer is normally the time that i try to caught up with all the books i wanted to have already read but wasn't in the mood for or just didn't feel like for what ever reason. 

This i really hope to get read in the first week of June since it is "Short-listed for the Bailey's Prize" and i want to give a "prediction" kind of thing before the winner is announced. But no idea if i can make that deadline. 

But no matter if i can or not, i still really want to read this book anyways. 

It just sounds very interesting to me and since i have owned this before it even was ever on the long or short list for the price i really just want to read it finally. 

And since there are more and more reviews that are very, VERY mixed about this book i just want to form my own option of it. 

I want to know if i fall into the "hated this book" or "loved this book" side of the book reviews since apparently it is one or the other with this book. Which is always something that intrigues me. Since i kind of love books that people either hate or love. I most of the time find that no matter if i enjoy them or not, they have a wonderful story to tell. 


4. The Stand - Stephen King

You know this thing where you have a set TBR, you are excited about all the books on your TBR but you can't actually read any of them and instead pick up a completely different book?

Well, if not that is what happened to me anyways. 

I still have a few books that i wanted to read in May but instead i picked up "The Stand" and started to read that. 

And since that book is just the miniature amount of 1300 pages or something easy and fast reading as that, i am sure that the book will not completely throw of my TBR AT ALL. 

I do love King's books through -most of the time at least- and so i am excited to read this at least during June but maybe even through July. I have no rush to read this book and so i hope to read a couple of pages every day while still reading other books. Maybe. Or you know most likely just read the entire thing during a week and enjoy every second of it. 

Either way i have started and will read this during Summer. 

And by the way? This would be a pretty fantastic beach read since it will be the only book that you will need during your entire vacation, i would guess at least. 



5. The Three Musketeers - Alexander Dumes 

I heard fantastic things about this! Wonderful things. 

And some not so great things. 
But you know what? I want to form my own option. 

Originally i planed to read "Count of Monte Cristo" as the first book by Dumes since my mom owns those books (the story is split into two books in the edition she has, instead of one big one, so books) but i am really not in the mood for a prison break out kind of book. 
Which is something i never though i would say since normally i am all for those kinds of books.

Of topic. I saw that my library had this and so i took it home and hope to read it. 


6. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson 

I will most likely not be doing anything vacation-like this summer so i thought i throw in a island book that i might at least feel like i am somewhere warm. 

And i wanted to read this classic for a while and never got to it. You know how it is with classics. Right? I am not the only one that classics kind of slip through the cracks of TBRs. 



7. The Unexpected everything - Morgan Matson

I read "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" by her in May and i really enjoyed it. And since this book just came out i thought why not give this a read. 

And this is also a very typical "beach read" kind of thing. 

If this book is anywhere near as good as "Amy and Roger" was, then it will be very nicely written, wonderfully done story about summer that is cute and romantic but realistic and just wonderful to read. 

So i am excited. 


8. Night Film - Marissa Pessl 

This is supposed to be a wonderful crime/mystery/thriller kind of book. And i relatively recently bought this for 4€ which is a steal if you live anywhere where there is the euro for an english book. 

The last few crime/mystery/thriller books i read where all a bit (big) disappointment in the genre department since most of them were either overdone (dramatized, brutalized or just generally overdone!) or just bad for me in general. 

I really hope that this will be as great as i heard so many people rave about so that i finally, FINALLY!, will get a good book from this genre again. 


9. Vicious - V. E. Schwab

I read this last year around summer time. And i loved it. 

So clearly its time for a re-read. 

And who doesn't love slightly crazy super powered humans during summer time? 

I just loved how Schwab interwove it all in this book, that every character really does believe he/she does the right thing and that you can feel for both -the hero and the villain- and that sometimes you aren't even sure which one is which in this book is just... epic. This book is epic. 

If you haven't read this yet, what are you doing with your live? Go get this book, sit down and read this right now! Go! GO!

Its also a perfect beach read- just saying!



10. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J. K. Rowling

I don't care what is coming. I will be buying this book as soon as i possible can and i will read it! 
Come hell or high waters!

Is there actually a need to explain why this book is on a TBR that has anything to do with summer and covers July 31? There shouldn't!



Thats it. 
That is my list. 

Overall the TBR for summer, but at the same time a mixture of "non-typical beach reads" and recommendations for wonderful books. 

I would love to hear what books you plan to read this summer -or plan to take to the beach with you if you are lucky enough to be able to do that! (i also hope you will have a lovely time where every you might go!)

I would love to hear if you did this, then please feel free to link it in the comments and i will check it out. 

Let me know, lets chat. 

Write more later.... 

Comments

  1. YAY for A Song of Ice and Fire. Those are hefty books to read at the beach. Might get a bit of a sunburn if you stay out there long enough to make a dent in either one of them. :) A Storm of Swords has still been my favorite in the series, but A Dance with Dragons is a close second. Amy and Roger is on my TBR list. Great picks! Enjoy your beach reads!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least if you read something thick on the beach you only have to bring one book right? ;)
      And it is good that i am not actually able to go to any beach this summer so i won't have to worry about any sunburn because of too thick books that i can't stop reading ;)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  2. I love your atypical beach reads :) I may have squealed a bit when I saw Robin Hobb!! She, along with Marion Zimmer Bradley, was my first foray into adult fantasy and of course I loved it! Great list :D
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Robin Hobb is wonderful, i mean i haven't quite finished the Assassins Apprentice yet but i still love her writing style and the overall story is wonderful so far so i can't really see how she could manage to make the series bad at this point ;)
      I will look up Bradley since haven't hear of her before but now i am curious!
      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  3. OK. I just had to but Night Film last year because I wanted my own copy and I STILL haven't read it. I also own the Song of Ice and Fire books but haven't started them yet. However, the series is getting a tad confusing for me so maybe I should so I can keep everyone straight. Hope you love your beach reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not watching the TV show so i can't say anything about that but i normally find that the books are always so much better and since everyone raves about the show the books are going to be wonderful and what read so far they really are worth the read! But i just have to finally pick them up!
      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  4. I've only read the Game of Thrones books from your list, and I had the opposite problem. I couldn't really get into them in the summer! I had to wait for a cold rainy day in winter before I could snuggle down with them :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i at least hope that the problem was that i started them in winter ;) I really do want to read them though so i do hope that the summer time will bring me to read a few of them since i do -strangely i know- read more of those kinds of books during the summer time even if you are more traditional with reading them during the winter!
      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  5. I loved loved loved A Little Life, but it was so gut-wrenching, I'd probably throw myself to the sharks. You might want plenty of novacaine to dull the pain but definitely read it. I like this list! My list of beach books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hear that about A little life, which is one of the reasons i am really interesting to read it. as strange as that sounds. but i want to see if it moves me as much as it seems to move everyone else :)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  6. Vicious was everything and more! Now that you mentioned it, I kind of want to reread it as well.

    My TTT: http://extreemeobsessed.blogspot.com/2016/05/6-beach-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! vicious was perfect!
      I hope you do re-read! It deserves all the re-reads ;)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  7. A Little Life sounds so good! I've wanted to read it ever since I first heard of it. I really loved the Unexpected Everything but I have yet to read anything else by Morgan Matson.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do recommend Amy and Roger, if you are in search of another wonderful Matson ;) It was really great with realistic characters which i have not yet seen in other romantic contemporary in ya. But maybe that is just Matsons writing style.
      I am happy to hear i am not the last person in the book community that hasn't read a little life ;)
      thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  8. Great picks! I love love love that you included Night Film! I just read Dear Fang, With Love and totally recommend it to fans of Marisha Pessl!! Of course, I completely agree re: MM's books -- they are so perfect for summer!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I will definitely remember that title if i love her then i can pick up your recommendation right away :)
      thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  9. Oooh, I like your choices, too! Especially V.E. Schwab and Hanya Yanagihara :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      Schwab is fantastic ;)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading Quest - Readthon TBR

Review: 2016 Reading Goals

Top 10 Tuesday: Books i HAVE to read in Spring